The Salvation Army will spread cheer this Christmas season when the organization gives new toys, clothes and food to local families in need.
Last year, in collaboration with Toys for Tots, the Salvation Army was able to help over 1,000 children and their families in the Flathead Valley at Christmas.
This year, as in recent years, many families continue to be in need of basic living necessities, with children often being the most affected.
The Salvation Army invites members of the community to help through one of the following ways:
• Adopt-a-Family — Provide food and gifts for a family’s Christmas. You can specify the size of a family that you would like to assist.
• Angel Tree — Help attend the Angel Tree at Kalispell Center Mall or host a tree at your business/organization so people can choose a tag, shop for the present, and bring the gift back to the tree; or donate a new gift for a needy child at any Angel Tree around the valley.
• Red Kettles — Volunteer at a kettle location for a day, a few days, or a specific day for each week of the season, Nov. 22 to Dec. 24 (excluding Sundays).
There are numerous jobs for volunteers. If you, your family, church or organization are interested in participating contact the Salvation Army at 406-257-4357.
From Oct. 21 to 25, Flathead Valley families can apply for assistance at the Salvation Army Community Center, 110 Bountiful Drive, Kalispell. All applications must be submitted in person and must bring the following documentation:
• Picture ID(s) for person keeping the appointment.
• Medicaid card or certified birth certificate for all household members
• Proof of low-income status for entire household; i.e. letter from Department of State Health Services (DSHS), grant letters, pay stubs from past 30 days.
• Proof of physical address; i.e. utility bill, rental agreement, DSHS letter, statement from case manager, etc. (not a driver’s license)
The Salvation Army will register qualifying families for Christmas assistance, a food card, as well as toys and clothes for each child 12 and under. Registration and number of recipients are limited, based on availability.