This year marks the 100th anniversary of the day, Nov. 11, 1918, in which the Treaty of Versailles armistice was signed that ended World War I. Armistice Day would later become the national holiday, Veterans Day.
Assemblies and celebrations are planned throughout the Flathead Valley today and Monday, Nov. 12, to honor our veterans and the public is encourage to attend.
• Columbia Falls High School will have a Veterans Day assembly at 10 a.m in the gym.
• Whitefish High School will have its annual Veterans Day event at 10:30 a.m. in the school’s event center. Veterans and community members are encouraged to attend.
• Smith Valley School will have a Veterans Day program at 9:30 a.m. at the school.
• Peterson Elementary School hosts two Veterans Day ceremonies in the school gym on Monday.
The ceremony for grades three to five is from 8:45 to 9:15 a.m. The ceremony for grades kindergarten to second grade is from 9:30 to 10 a.m.
The fourth-grade students have taken on a special service project and are leading a food drive for the Northwest Montana Veterans Food Pantry, as well as gathering goods needed at the Montana Veterans Home in Columbia Falls. All donations collected will be on display at the ceremonies and delivered to veterans Friday after school.
• Glacier High School students and staff will host an assembly honoring all local veterans at 9:30 a.m.
Veterans attending the assembly should arrive at the school between 8:30 to 9:15 a.m.
Enter through the south entrance the GHS commons. Student leaders will greet you in the GHS Conference Room. Refreshments will be provided.
For details, contact Mark Dennehy, activities director/assistant principal, or Andy Fors, assistant principal at 758-8600.
• Bigfork High School’s honors history students will present the 19th annual Veterans Day assembly at 10 a.m. in the Bigfork High School gymnasium.
All veterans and the public are welcome, and refreshments will be served afterward for veterans and their guests.
Students will present facts on the historical significance of Veterans Day, view an original video production from the yearbook staff, read a poignant letter from a fallen Vietnam lieutenant to his wife, honor Gold Star mothers, and recite a poem by Stephanie Soden. The winner of the “Voice of Democracy” will read their essay, and the Bigfork High School Band will perform with the cheerleaders serving as the color guard. Students will demonstrate and explain the steps involved in ceremonial flag folding.
The program is streamed live and viewers can access this service through the school website (www.bigforkschools.org) the day of the event.
• Trinity Lutheran School is hosting a Veterans Day celebration program with luncheon to follow at 11:30 a.m. to show appreciation for those who have served our country in the military.
All veterans and current service members are invited to attend. The school is located at 495 Fifth Ave. WN in Kalispell.
Call 257-6716 for more details and to RSVP for large groups.