The engine of a propane tanker truck caught fire in the CityServiceValcon parking lot Tuesday evening, prompting a brief evacuation within a three-block of the West Montana Street fuel distributor in Kalispell.
Kalispell Police Officer Jordan Venevio said that the fire call came in at 7:48 p.m. and the Kalispell Fire Department had the fire contained by 8:20 p.m., when the evacuation was lifted.
The CityServiceValcon station is located behind Imperial Dry Cleaners and the Montana Golden Nugget at 640 W. Montana St.
Police cruisers with flashing lights blocked off cross streets while officers knocked on residents’ doors to advise them to get out.
Fire Chief Dave Dedman said that the cause of the fire was a result of a malfunctioning block heater or wiring to the block heater.